Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Virginia Beach Tax Hike

While I'm happy that the city has decided to raise one of their taxes to help fix the budget deficit for their schools, I'm not really thrilled with the explanation given by a spokesperson. He says that teachers should be thrilled because it will save the jobs that were held by teachers who were given pink slips. Here's why I'm upset:

They did this last year. They fired all their new teachers, found more money and rehired some of the teachers back--at the first year rate again. So if you work for VA Beach schools, you can be a first year teacher for three or more years in a row. I wish that I could say that this time they'll just revoke all the pink slips and hand them out again so that no body loses what they deserve (because some teachers will stay fired), but I'm not stupid.

No comments: