Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mad Men and George Romney

So, I'm days behind in my "Weird News" on Hulu. I just watched the clip where Mitt Romney's son complained about a line in an episode of "Mad Men" where his grandfather was called a clown. It got me thinking.

"Mad Men" is set in the 1960s. Back in the '60s, the Republicans were notorious for being anti-racial rights. So, if Romney was the pro-rights governer that his grandson proclaimed then he would have been considered a clown in the Republican party. And, me being a socially liberal educated woman (i.e. a slut), if I was George Romney's granddaughter, I would have stood up and proudly said "Hell's YES my grandfather was a clown and I'm happy that the 1960s Republican party no longer exists BECAUSE of clowns like my grandfather who didn't believe in the archaic notions that black people should be 'separate but equal'. He helped ring in the new age of the Republican Party...which you should vote for in November."

But "Grandson of George Romney" didn't go there. Instead he sounded whiney and un-informed about the world that his Grandfather existed. Maybe he needs to go watch a few dozen episodes of "All in the Family."

No comments: