Sunday, May 13, 2012

Lark Rise to Candleford--Wife Abuse and the Temperence Movement

Well, here's an interesting look at the 1890s. I'm watching the seventh episode of the 2008-2011 BBC adaption of the book (I haven't read the book, though it's on my list--it's aparently a biographical account written 40 years after the fact).

This episode centers around a woman who is hit by her husband while he's drunk and she has him arrested. It's a small country town in England, so you know how word travels and opinions spread. Well it seemed pretty cut and dry until a pamphlet gets spread around about the Temperence Movement with the woman telling the wife to forgive her husband if he pledges to not drink because if he wasn't drinking he wouldn't hit her. It's supposed to be the anti-feminist response to spousal abuse....but we all know the value of such a position. Only one man in 50 is worth it....and I hope to God I never have to make the decision about it. Today, I'd leave him in a heartbeat, but as Ms. Beast on Glee illustrates--it's a completely different thing to be in the position.

Ooh...let's see how the Temperence woman reacts to the fact that the husband stole her money and drank it. Guess there's nothing a person can say about that. Whoops...never mind. Ms. Temperence is confronting the husband. She isn't as bad as I thought she would be--she's actually defending the wife's choice since the husband isn't promising 100% abstinence. I was really afraid that she was the "save the marriage no matter what" type.

I really like this show--it shows real women in real situations. I was reading some of the favorite books of some Christian young adult female pen pals and there was a little too much devotion to a Regency and Victorian era idealism. I honestly wouldn't want to live back then because it's doubtful that I'd be rich and the alternative wouldn't be very enjoyable--the odds of finding a kind husband (like Ms. Temperance's...haha, he's a liberal) were slim, though increasing as we move toward the present. Life was more like this than Anne of Green Gables and a Jane Austen novel. But before I can really make a comment, I should read the book, and see how much liberty the BBC took.

By the way...poor Mr. Patterson, the constable. He sure is stuck between a rock and a hard place of being a "regular joe" one minute, then a representative of the crown the next (I guess that's what an English constable is supposed to be).

No comments: