Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Extreme Couponing

This concept intrigues me. My family is frugal out of necessity and we buy store brands instead of name brands as the primary way to save money. We've looked at coupons, of course, but for our weekly shopping needs they rarely have value. Occasionally there will be one that makes a name brand product equivilent in price to the store brand, but except for ranch dressing (which I'm the only person who eats) store brand products are prefectly good substitutes. So we save money without spending hours of our time trying to save money.

I just flipped through the ads that came in the mail today--I found two coupons that we may use. 50 cents off Purex and $1 off any 5 cans of Del Monte. I'll hand the coupons to my dad since he does most of the shopping. My prediction is that, like normal, when he goes to shop he'll look at the prices in front of him and the coupon in his hand and decide that for what we need the non-couponed option will be best.

The thing that seems to be most prevelant about extreme couponing is how the ones that do it get a TON of stuff in the process. I come from two types of shoppers--my mother who thinks that if one is good, two must be better and my father who says "you aren't saving anything if you're spending more than you had to".

The woman interviewed on the Today Show said that her best trip was getting 162 boxes of cereal for $14. What on earth is a family, even of 9, going to do with that many boxes of cereal? It's going to go bad before it can be eaten and what happens the next week when cereal is again on sale? Must she buy more? I watched the episode of (I think) Bones from a few weeks ago about the extreme couponers and how obsessed they were and I know of many people who have that sort of hording mentality. I really wonder how many extreme couponers take their "free" merchandise and donate it to those who need it. I think Extreme Makeover Home Edition had a woman who did something like that.

No comments: