Monday, May 7, 2012

Catch-22

So, as you may have figured, I'm a big fan of the Dark-Hunter series right now (and when I become a fan, I tend to obsess for the time being). Though this thought came to me while reading these books, the idea transends all books really.

There's a catch-22 in the writing world. One of my complaints about the Dark-Hunters is the anti-climatic endings since Kenyon really is just writing romance novels. (Thank God she's learned to write fight scenes!!!!) While reading the site on TV tropes (you REALLY need to go there if you love to read or write or watch movies/television) it's pointed out how the Gods will solve all the unsolvable problems in the end--the ultimate get-out-of-a-complicated-plot-free card. And this is where the catch-22 lies:

If the author uses the Gods to kill the big-baddie, I call it a cop out since the main characters didn't have to do any real work (besides the whole getting beat up 2 or 3 times in previous chapters). But then, if they didn't use the Gods, the complaint would be wondering why the Gods even exist. I guess the argument is that a good author can come up with an solution that satisfies everyone...please excuse me while I go laugh my butt off while rolling around on the floor. There's a reason why half the world loves Twilight while the rest of us cringe. And why some of the most amazing authors have their non-fans. You can't please everyone, so I guess authors have to decide which side of the catch they want to be on and go with it.

Hmm...now if only Congress could do that. 

No comments: