Sunday, April 1, 2012

Saving the Titanic

I guess this is the name of the documentary I'm watching on PBS. Wow. It has all the drama of James Cameron's Titanic, but is told from the bowles of the ship, inside the boiler rooms where brave men were the first line of defense against the ship sinking. I'm not sure how much is artistic license, and how much is from credible sources, but I have a feeling that when she finally goes down, I will be in tears. These men know that the ship is going to sink and a select few decided to stay and do whatever they could to help. Of all the films/documentaries/museum exhibits I've seen, it's never hit me as to exactly how heroic those men were. I think Cameron did them a disservice when he left them out of his "masterpiece", though maybe I should forgive him since he did show that the steerage passangers were hurt. This documentary is totally ignorning the passangers so far, which is okay, since they aren't the point. At least they aren't trying to tell the whole story, unlike Cameron who seemed like that was his attempt.

RIP Titanic and all those who went down on her.

Edited all of 30 seconds after my initial posting:

Wait, where did he come from?!? I guess that's the artistic license because they just said that it's doubtful that there were any engineer survivors and the documentary ended with that figure on the screen. I guess it's like the story Briar Rose by Jane Yolen; we know that 4 men escaped Chelmno, but it's entirely possible that a woman did in such a way that Gemma did.

By the way, if you haven't read Briar Rose, you really should. I mean, it's pretty obvious that it was written in the early '90s without the strict feminist leanings of most modern works (I mean, more than once Stan has to come to her rescue and I'm just shouting to myself "Duh woman, use your brain!"), but beyond Becca not being my favorite "heroine", I'm not sure if she's supposed to. The story is Gemma's, Becca is just the conduit. And Gemma's story will have you crying.  

No comments: