Sunday, April 22, 2012

Plato's "The Cave"

I really liked this story when we discussed it in the "Scientific Revolution" course I took a couple years ago. I'm liking it even more as I watch this "Hallmark Hall of Fame" program called "Firelight"--it's about girls in a correctional facility. I think that the story is a great one to use for this--everyone's a prisoner until they start asking questions and expanding their world.

The fire fighting program that is also a key part of the plot is also a great idea. Normally I think Hallmark is too sappy for me, but I highly recommend this episode. However, they could seriously afford to lose the Hallmark commercials, but then I'm probably not in their target audience, which is actually kinda sad. I mean, who would really benefit from watching a program on troubled girls learning to be independent, self-sufficient, and not a bane on society? Troubled girls, right? Well, I don't think that troubled girls would sit through sappy commerials that kinda make me want to puke. The girls can relate to the bad girls in the episode--I highly doubt that they can relate to the loving families and sentimental BS (no offense) in the commercials.

Still, leave the commercials out and maybe they'd be a good week-end movie at the local young ladies correctional facility.

No comments: