Thursday, April 12, 2012

Duggar House

For the most part, I like the Duggar family. There are much worse families in the world and for those who play the "they're brainwashing the kids" card, please remember that you yourself were brainwashed by your parents. You didn't come out of the womb thinking what you think; you were influenced by your parents from day one. They made you the person you are whether you were following in their footsteps or rebelling for all it's worth. So there.

What I don't like about their house is that the guest suite is located where you can only access it through the laundry room. The way they go through clothes, that seems like a terrible oversight. It's no wonder that Grandma Duggar does laundry every time she visits--she can't get to her room without tripping over 3 piles, probably.

Probably the only thing I don't really like about the way the kids are raised is that they are so dependent on people other than the two parents to care for the children. My grandmother (who had 8 kids) and my dad and aunts and uncles on that side say that that's the way kids were raised, with the older ones looking after the younger ones and the chores (my youngest uncle complains that he was left with all the chores when the older ones moved out). But I think that that is completely different from the way the Duggars do things because it doesn't appear to be voluntary. I mean, the kids are obviously willing and it doesn't seem to be much of an opposition (is that the right word?), but it just seems like the girls do more raising than is fair, even split between so many of them. I don't know if any of the women in my family watch the show, but I think that if they did they'd say that they weren't faced with as much without mom stepping in. But there was a reason my grandmother had my grandfather get a vasectomy on the ship when she did (though Uncle Paul being a premie also had a big part of that).

No comments: