Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Bill O'Reilly, Master of the Televerse

Sigh, yesterday I caught up on a weeks worth of Bill's "Talking Points" (the only 3 minutes of his show that he shares with the "free world" of hulu). Once again, Bill took the top spot as the most trusted news source. Sigh. And once again, I fee the need to qualify his pride.

The problem with comparing Fox News to the rest of the "lame stream" media is that the aren't comparable. It is a fact that Fox leans right while NBC, CBS, ABC, and they're siblings lean left (or rather, more left, though since I watch only their local channels not on cable, I cannot judge their content fully--our local NBC and Fox station are "married" for all that they share a studio and news anchors). For all that I comment on Fox News, I have no real desire to watch their programing--just as I have no real desire to watch MSNBC or CNN. I don't want to listen to the excessive bashing that is a news commentary show (except for Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert who bash both sides equally). Sorry I ramble.

Here's the real point. There are only a handful of people who watch BOTH Fox News and the "liberal left". These are the people who also watch Jon Stewart looking for the real nuggets of truth (not the dick jokes). If I ask a conservative, then they will probably say that they trust Fox. If I ask a liberal, they will probably say MSNBC. If I ask a poor person living in the slums, they will probably say none of the above since they don't generally care about the news. Now, where does that leave the population that could reply to the poll in question? Generally speaking, I'd guess Conseravatives who watch Fox News: Older Americans who have some money tucked away. I'm afraid that I didn't pay enough attention to know the actual percentage points, but since I think one of the things this country needs to do is get more people interested in current events, we need to take into consideration that of the "don't know" there are enough people to maybe make a difference in those figures that Bill is so proud of.

What upset me most (besides the fact that Bill will repeat these facts for the next month as though they actually mean something to me) is that when he informed us that he was either tied with or beating Jon Stewart in the popularity contest (whatever) he was snide and rude, as though because of what one poll said he is better than Stewart (his long standing rival). I decided long ago, though careful observation and a healthy appreciation of what television psychologists say, that anyone who has to constantly tell everyone how much better they are over someone else is jealous...and probably has low self-esteem. Not that telling him such would do anyone any good. I prefer the smile and nod and don't take them seriously method.

Am I a hypocrit? I don't know. I don't try to belittle Bill with a lot of passive aggressive "I'm better than you" or "You're an idiot (cough: pinhead)" comments, but I do use him a lot as an example. It's not personal--he's just my only real access point to Fox News since they won't show more on Hulu (I do like their "news minute" show, even if they are a bit too blatent about the hulu-ness; I mean, hulu isn't really about hulu programing--it's about streaming a variety of media in a central location). I also don't think that my ultimate message is meant to make me look better, smarter, more handsome/beautiful, or be able to fly.

No comments: