Saturday, June 2, 2012

NYC Large Soda Ban

I'd actually like to have a defaulted smaller soda size--when I order a fast food combo, I picture what a small is...more often than not they hand me what I call a medium, or even large, size. I don't need more than 12 or 14 ounces of soda and I certainly never need 20, 24, or 40 ounces.

Soda is cheap--fast food restaurants practically give it away. Most offer free refills. So why can't they just give me a smaller cup? What is the difference between giving me a 24 ounce cup and expecting me to fill it twice (for the road) and giving me a twelve ounce cup and I fill it twice while eating then once more for the road? Actually, it saves the restaurant money because I take a net 12 ounces less.

Do I agree with the government mandating it? No. EXCEPT that I felt physically ill when some representative of the CATO Institute going so far as to say that "obesity isn't a public health issue; it's a private health issue". You know me. Anyone who doesn't have private health insurance IS on public health whether it's medicare, medicaid or just walking into a hospital with no ability to pay the bill in full.

Look, the reality is that so long as taxpayer money is footing the bill, I should get to say that you can't drink yourself to death. So, either agree to using smaller soda cups or say goodbye to health care as we have it--no private insurance, you'll die.

If I was going to fix health care, all I'd do is remove the law that says that a hospital has to admit you independently of your insurance status. Congress would suddenly be inundated with calls from sick people and those with sick relatives wondering how they're supposed to live when they can't get insurance and can't get government coverage either. I wonder how many Republicans will suddenly think a health insurance mandate and laws which make it easier to get and keep health insurance is a good idea.

Remember, Conservatives believe that you should plan for your own future, right? Don't rely on the government to care for you when you're old and sick.

No comments: