Saturday, June 30, 2012

Tipping

One of my favorite time waster sites is notalwaysright.com where all service workers can go to vent.

This brings me to tipping. I really like to pay for my meal with my card, but leave the tip in cash (usually well more than 15%). I wonder if any of my waiters think I'm a bitch only to be pleasantly surprised when the clear the table. It makes me feel good that generally overworked, underappreciated people can do what they want with their tips instead of having to rely on whatever computer system or boss to make sure they get their tips.

In many states, it's still law that waitresses can be paid below minimum wage so long as their tips bring them up to at least the minimum. Their bosses are supposed to suppliment their wages to make sure they get minimum wage, but often times managers don't do this and/or won't--especially for new staff members with little experience.

No comments: