Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Prone

When used to describe the way a person is lying, it means that they're face down. I'm kinda annoyed that I've read 3 or 4 books lately where this word was used, but the rest of the actions don't necessarily make anatomical sense.

For instance, I'm reading Seize the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Dark-Hunter Series). Ash is lying prone on the bed and while I'll allow for Katra to look at him the way she does while his back is supposedly towards her, maybe able to see half of his face, how on Earth could she hold the 3 leaves she needs to revive him above his mouth while she wrings them to allow the precious liquid to drop into his mouth? Greek Goddess or not, that must have been some feat with his body positioned the way it is.

Another book I was reading turned the couple into contortionists because he was lying prone underneith her as they wrestled.

I really don't know what's going on. I'm not sure if the author did intend for the guys to be face down, and then forgot to roll them over before the next action happened or if for some reason the definition of this word has been lost--or maybe it's the subtlty that was lost with it becoming a generic word for lying down, instead of a specific position.

For future reference, supine means to lie face up. And on Merriam-Webster.com (which requires a subscription for some of the less common words for some reason!) it has a "40%" popularity while prone is at about "70%" (I'm giving the popularity meter numbers), makes me wonder just how much people know about the words.

No comments: