Saturday, April 30, 2011

I Pledge...

to reduce my environmental impact by:
  1. Refusing to buy processed foods. I will do my best to only eat foods that I make completly for myself...except when going out to eat of course. This includes ice cream, cookies, cakes, and all other "junk" foods. I also will not buy spice mixes, but will instead buy all spices and make them myself. I will grow my own herbs and also the majority of my vegetables. I will buy locally whenever possible and shop at farmer's markets as often as I can. I will not give up taste for the environment, however, and yet I believe I will actually be happier.
  2. Refusing to buy plastic whenever possible. I will use aluminum foil instead of plastic wrap. I will use glass containers or jars with metal lids. I will use a fountain pen with homemade ink instead of buying disposible pens. I will use homemade glue instead of tape. I will not buy bottled water, or any bottled juice; and never soda. I will try not to use plastic baggies and will use them as many times as possible before recycling.
  3. I will recycle any plastic that enters my life. I will recycle as much as I can, including making my own paper for letter writing so that I know where my paper was made and with what chemicals and how those chemicals go back into the environment.
  4. I will reduce my water use. I will take shorter showers, or shower less often. I will buy water saving appliances. I will have a low flow shower head and toilet. I will practice "if it's yellow" so long as it is not obvious. I will not water my lawn/garden except with rain water I have collected. I will not leave the water running while I brush my teeth and I will shave in the shower.
  5. I will reduce my electricity usage. I will not turn the lights on when I don't need them. I will go to bed, and wake up, early to get the most out of the light that the sun provides. I will buy a tank-less water heater so that I only heat the water that I use. I will use natural gas if and where possible. I will have energy efficient appliances. I will look into solar panels and wind turbines to supliment my energy usage. I will use a computer to watch television instead of a television set, since most likely I will be on the computer anyway. A laptop can be charged while in use and then run off the battery, getting twice as much usage with half as much power...though my physics is probably wrong with this.
  6. I will strive to pay the least amount of money to any power or water company.
  7. I will reduce the amount of chemicals I use in my home and in my body. I will seek natural remedies and use less harsh cleaners. But I will not sacrifice my health. I will not, however, just flush old medications down the toilet so that they can contaminate our water supply.

No comments: