Sunday, November 22, 2009

Grammar Police

Everyone knows when the grammar police show up on a site. I'm sure icanhascheeseburger.com gets such a visitor frequently enough.

Well, I'm writing a paper for my English history to 1688 course (we've been given an original document that we must bring into the context of the other books we've been assigned to read for the course) and it hasn't been "translated" into modern English at all. It's from c. 1625 England about the colony of Jamestown.

So, I guess my real point for this post is my frustration that it's taking me 5+ minutes to read a single page because I must understand just what is being talked about while suffering through the different spellings, lack of punctuation, and just the general other-worldliness of the language. Where are my grammar police?!?!? [wahhahaha--why am I history major?!??!]

Here's the link to the document (pg. 259; but we didn't get the book, so we don't get that handy introduction that books.google does--cheeky professor I have) and here's the link to the book we're relating it to.

Here's a copy I just found of the original which has at least been transcribed into a modern font--but I actually think that it makes it harder to read (click the link to read it).

No comments: