Thursday, November 19, 2009

Favorite Quotes:

"If you can't convince them, confuse them"
-Harry Truman

"Dance....consists of stylized movements whose significances configure and affect a people’s existence in time."

"Love a challenge"
-Me

"it is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence."
-W.K. Clifford

"Keep Moving Forward"
-Walt Disney

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Don't try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night"
-Philip K. Dick

"Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted."
-Fred Allen

"I don't listen to Rap; I listen to Par"
-Annonimouse

" 'Cause I'm just a little girl you see
But there's a hell of a lot more to me
Don't ever underestimate what I can do
Don't ever tell me how I'm meant to be"
- "Just A Little Girl", Amy Studt

Not really a quote, but something my history prof said in class Tuesday...
Apparantly the original feminists from the 19th century would disagree with the way of feminists today. They disagreed with abortion, divorce, and fornication; anything that made life in anyway easier for the man. They didn't agree with a double standard, but when it came to which standard should be set, it is the woman whose ideal is better. Women should not sink to the mans level, but should expect men to rise to the standard of woman.

"Beauty is in the imperfections"

"By 1798, voters had formed two parties, each of which accused the other of threatening republican liberty"-- Enduring Vision--USHist 201 textbook. Things really don't change do they?!?

"Science explains the what; Religion explains the why"
--condensed version of something my anth. prof. said.

"When I use a word [...] it means just what I choose it to mean--neither more nor less"
--Humpty Dumpty, Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
--Wizard's First Rule; book by the same name, Terry Goodkind

"Truth and falsehood have both alike countenances...Wee beholde them with one same eye"
--Montaigne

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
--Albert Einstein

"If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur."
--Doug Larson
(actually, I think an apostrophe with fur would be a catastrophe--or would at least scare me silly)

No comments: