Wednesday, November 18, 2009

2012

Gosh, that new movie sounds kinda freaky, but I think the premise is too fanciful. I mean, I haven't seen the movie yet, but it sounds like just another unpredictable destruction of the world based on the fact that the Mayan calendar happens to end that day. I like measurable facts, myself. That's why, when I want a world destruction scare, I read Robert Heinlein's "The Year of the Jackpot". I mean, here's a guy who's hobby is to track world changing (and not so much) events, and while everyone goes about their regular lives, he notices the trends indicating that things are getting more frequent and more dangerous.

I notice that a lot of people (for every generation going back centuries) have always claimed that "things have never been so bad as they are today". I just wonder whether anyone has taken the time to actually look at the trends instead of making such open statements.

Anyway, I'll let you be the judge. Here's the link to read this story:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/20578281/Heinlein-Robert-A-Year-of-the-Jackpot

ENJOY!!!

No comments: