Friday, March 18, 2011

The Week of the Bad Music

It all started with Rebecca Black's "Friday" and ended with Glee's "Original Song" episode. Whenever I think about a song's composure I picture Roger from 101 Dalmations telling his wife "Melody first, my dear, then the lyrics". I think that there are two types of bad songs: those which have a terrible melody and those which have terrible lyrics (okay, so there's the third type that both suck, but I don't know if I've ever heard one of those). I'm definitely no music producer, and am quick to admit that I probably have terrible taste in music according to some standards, but I think I can give a decent report on a song.

So, on to this week where we see a terrific example of how terrible lyrics can ruin terrific melodies. Okay, "Friday" isn't exactly Chopin or Bach in the melody area, but it isn't god-awful. It fits with the pop/party music that is popular with the teen sect. However overly simplistic lyrics (you know you've heard them) that sound like a 10 year old wrote them makes this one of the worst songs I've ever heard. I would personally love to double "Gibbs smack" whomever the writer of that song was for doing that to the poor girl. She sounds fine, it's the stupid lyrics. I also heard about the awful comments written about her--really??! We live in an incredibly ignorant society. Give the girl a break and shoot her producer for the song choice.

I think that it's fitting that Glee tackled songwriting this week in their episode to show just how dumb lyrics can be. "Trouty Mouth", "My Hairband", "Big Ass...Heart" yeah--wow, sounds like a 16 year old wrote them, which is incredibly fitting given that these are supposed to be high schoolers. But if you ignore the words you can imagine how the songs can be improved with just better content and styling. The melodies were not compromised when making fun of teenagers writing lyrics.

P.S. I LOVED the song "Loser like me"! It's exactly what I like Glee to say since so many teens watch this show.

No comments: