Tuesday, December 15, 2009

1767

You might wonder what's up with 1767 since I have it in the web address for most of my linked blogs. There are 2 reasons for this. The first is quite simply that I have to find a "random" number to differentiate between mine and another's sites. The reason I chose 1767 is because it's a very important date to me. It's in honor of the Proclamation of 1767 which stated that the English settlers in the New World were not allowed to venture past the Appalachian Mountains.

Why, you might ask, do I care about this proclamation? Well, it's because it's used as one of the reasons for declaring independence from the king of England--that the king had no right to make such a request of the settlers. That's the Conservative answer. The liberal, and practical, side of me knows why this proclamation was made--that it was costing the king an arm and a leg to protect the settlers from the Indians and various foreigners and if they didn't keep going where there was no one to protect them, there wouldn't be so much of an issue.

I find the Proclamation of 1767 to be the perfect example of a misunderstanding of law. Taxation without Representation is just as good--you see there was no voting for representatives in England--it was just understood that all members of parliament stood for all of England's citizens--including the settlers in the New World. While I can agree that they felt that the new laws being enacted weren't fair, there was no such thing as direct representation, so to claim it as a right is superfluous (I think I used that word correctly).

No comments: