Saturday, December 11, 2010

T.V.

People say that television is going to the dogs. While I think this is true for American television, British television is hitting it's prime, I think. Or at least British actors are. I've been watching Doctor Who, Primeval, Merlin (and have on my list of shows to watch when I get time: Torchwood and The Sarah-Jane Adventures). It's not just because I happen to love basic science fiction (I dislike shows and books that make up too much stuff--I have enough trouble in science and foreign/ancient history trying to remember what words mean), but it's the actors. Heck, who doesn't love Hugh Laurie--so you know it isn't just the accent.

I personally think that its the difference in expectations of male actors in Britain--it has to be. I mean, you are going to be hard-pressed to find an American male actor who is comfortable enough to really show his emotions and wear his heart on his sleeve. I mean, think about the last time you saw one of your favorite actors cry on screen--did it look fake? I can't remember the last time I watched an actor cry on screen, especially not on television.

Maybe I'm just biased because I've been watching so much British TV lately. Maybe I'm just tired because I had 3 finals in 3 days. Maybe it's because I've never been so excited by a bromance as I have been with watching Prince Arthur, Merlin and the Knights of the Round Table. And then we have Keanu Reeves who has no tear ducts nor muscles in his face.

No comments: